Monday, February 8, 2010

Feb 9: What doesn't Kill us. . .Makes Assignments Longer?

Aaugh. . .I would like to go into a series of educational cliches about how everything doesn't always work out the way it was planned, but I am just too frustrated to do so.  For the sake of community; however, please insert your favorite educational cliche here. . . . . . . .breathe, now let it go ;-)

Okay, well, I haven't heard back from the people at the library mediasite, so I cannot wait any longer.  I hope that they may still have slots where you could fit in if at all possible.  If this is something you still have the time and patience to try, please contact Justin Power @ juspower@csusm.edu.  You can say you are part of our EDSS 530 class and would like to do your mediasite.  If not, we will have to change plans, but still using the CSUSM Educator network to post the chapters on your group pages.  Since I will be out of town, I will just have to let go of that idea and ask that you find a creative way to display your chapter presentation on your CSUSM Educator group page.  Look at some of the projects from Dr. Lawler's class.  I saw some simple embedding of GoogleDocs presentations in blogs (ch 2 & 3), some cool uses of Google Sites (ch 4 & 8; ch 5), iWeb (ch 9 & 11 ), wikispaces (ch 10 & 12), and even Facebook (ch 6 & 7).  Some used comments for assessment, some embedded GoogleForms. . .Choose any way that you can get your chapter covered using technology and put on your Group Page. . .don't forget the assessment piece.  I apologize for this; I was really counting on having you experience the mediasite as a means of presenting information.  Please communicate with me and each other if you have questions or need help.  I will be able to access a computer most days and will do all that I can to help make this as painless as possible.
Be creative and have fun, but ensure you cover the chapters. . .you can also do a short movie, a podcast, or anything else you or one of your partners has expertise in producing. 
Let's shoot for a Feb 16 due date for the project. . .you can have a few extra days to give your peers comments.


Reading Reflection (s):  I would like you to read Ch 1 from Disrupting Class, found on the drop.io page; also, I will post an article on our drop.io site from Dr. Lawler, "What Makes School Ethnography ‘Ethnographic’?" which might go a ways in helping you understand the basis and purpose of an ethnography.  In each reading, which will be separate posts. . .Week 2 will be Disrupting Class, and Week 3 will be the ethnography piece.
Let's use the 3-2-1 format for the reflection:  3 things that you learned/connected with; 2 thing you disagree with or have questions; and 1 thing you would really like to learn more about. . .

Don't forget to answer the weekly questions. . .


Week 3 Question:  What is the most surprising thing you have seen in the classroom this semester. . .this could be positive or not so positive. . .I visited a JCCS classroom last week only to find a student I had worked with on a Photoshop project in September had been shot 4 times over Thanksgiving break, twice in the arm, once in the hip, and lost an eye.  With all this (he lives in SE San Diego, but isn't involved in gangs), he was smiling and seemed eager to participate in class. . .I was just blown away.

17 comments:

  1. I'm at Guajome Park Academy, and I've noticed kids using iPods everywhere, including the classroom. That's surprising to me because for most schools having an iPod out during classroom time is like having a classroom pet Flea Farm-all infected with the Bubonic Plague. If that makes sense...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really cant stand the leeway star athletes get from teachers and school officials. I am a teacher and a coach, but we should always have the attitude that we are teachers first. Expectations should be the same for all students, regardless of your ability in any area of life. I always ask myself what these teachers are thinking that allows them to "differentiate" the schools policies for these student/athletes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am working at Mt. Carmel and the thing that I have noticed that is really interesting is that there is one large faculty lounge (it is really nice and big) and all of the teachers get together for break and lunch. It seems to have made the teachers closer with one another, insteas of just having one or two close friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really surprised when my cooperating teacher said that there was a smartboard that wasn't being used in the music room that she might be able to get in her room! She also has not one but two interwrite pads, but hasn't found the time to figure them out. Where is this you may ask? Nowhere else but Escondido High School.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was surprised when I was observing in a class when the teacher told a student if he was done with his work he could "text". Most teachers freak out when they see a cell phone out...

    ReplyDelete
  6. At High Tech High, the art class is very different than the one that was offered when I was in high school. Students have to use metal, paint, and other art supplies to create a 3D painting about a right that they chose to represent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was surprised that my cooperative teacher had at least 10-12 computers in the classroom and did not see the need to use the computers on a regular basis. We used them one time and that was at the end of December

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was surprised when one of my students wrote on his student survey that if he could change anything about himself it would be his race. I find this very troubling, especially when his race is the majority in the school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know that this is just part of being a teenager, but I'm still surprised, and embarrassed for, the kids who think they are being so different and cool by dressing gothic, emo, etc... Your platform boots are not original, nor is your dark makeup. I hate to sound like my mom, but someday they are going to look back at those pictures and cringe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The thing that surpirses me the most is the large number of undocumented students at Orange Glen. From working in AVID, I noticed that this issue gave several students problems when they were applying to college. It is sad to see that things like this can prevent kids from futhering their education.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One thing that suprised me was how nice the campus of Oceanside high is......Everything seems new

    ReplyDelete
  12. In most of the classes I have seen, I was surprised at how little homework is assigned, and when homework is assigned, how many students do not complete or even attempt the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, Stacy stole mine, but I was going to say how little homework is assigned. This could be both positive or negative. I feel like it turns out negatively because they aren't practicing what they are learning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was suprised at how many of my 7th graders have iPhones or other smart phones.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really was suprised how good some of the teachers are that I am observing. I was even more shocked when I observed the amount of texting that goes on in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was surprised by the DaDa program at RBV. It is an interdisciplinary school within the school, encompassing art, english, and social science. Amazing program that has the full support of the principal. In fact, she is the one that has championed it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was surprised at how my students responded and was excited and engaged for once. Usually they are pretty inactive unless they have their own social agenda with their buds going on in the classroom. Too bad they were engage on a non-math related subject. I guess I should tell you peeps the story.

    A student made a negative derogatory comment to another student using the word gay/homo. I addressed it and told them it was inappropriate and then asked them why they used that word. Eventually we got into a pretty intense class discussion on minorities and how my students were a minority. We also covered the issue of multiple perspectives and not getting information from a single source and not basing facts off a solitary sources. Pretty much all the students were adding to the conversation, some of the shy quiet girls stayed quiet, but they were listening intensely at the discussion.

    If only I could get this kind of discussion going about math. How to make math more controversial.....

    ReplyDelete